Solar water pumps, also known as solar pond pumps or solar fountain pumps, use solar energy to move and aerate water in an eco-friendly and cost-effective manner.
For these two reasons alone, many people are increasingly opting to invest in one as opposed to a traditional hard-wired water pump. These handy gadgets are commonly found in residential pools, ponds, garden fountains, and aquariums.
With that in mind, we have prepared this guide by reviewing the top 10 best solar water pumps on the market. Once you’ve read through it you can then head into the buying process armed with the right knowledge to make an informed decision.
Here’s a quick look at our top three solar water pumps:
Our Best Solar Water Pumps:
Recommended Pump for Large Ponds:
The Solariver solar water pump kit is the best solar water pond pump out there, especially if you have large ponds. It’s versatile, well constructed, reasonably priced, and designed to last.
It comes as a complete unit with all the accessories you need. Most importantly, it can pump out over 360+ GPH (Gallons Per Hour) aerating and beautifying even the largest of ponds.
- The Solariver Solar Water Pump Kit moves large volumes of water without ever plugging into the grid! Perfect for large fountains, water features, ponds,...
- The durable and efficient submersible brushless magnetic pump has a long life (20,000+ hours), adjustable flow control, dry-run protection, removable pre-filter...
- The 20 watt solar panel is framed with aluminum, comes with a stake and can be placed up to 16 feet away from the pump with included power cord. Optional 16'...
- 1 Year Warranty - 100% Money Back Guarantee if our pump kit doesn't meet your water pumping needs!
- PLEASE READ prior to purchasing: This water pump is powered by a solar panel therefore requires sunlight to operate. The flow of water is determined by the...
Ideal for Small Ponds:
The Eco-Worthy Solar Water Pump is a great option for small to medium-sized ponds. It has a great price point and can still pump out 160 GPH (Gallons Per Hour). With plug and play capabilities out of the box and a 1-year warranty, the Eco-Worthy Pump is sure to exceed all your needs.
- 【 20,000+Lifespan Pump 】 - Max flow Rate: 160 GPH (610 L/H); Max Lift Height: 5.6 FT ( 1.7 m); Long life : 20,000+ hours, Cord length: 16FT (5m);...
- 【 12 W solar panel 】 - 12 volt; Durable aluminum frame and 4 protection angles; Adjustable solar panel angle and you can plant the solar panel in the...
- 【 Our Guarantee 】 - 1 Year Warranty - 100% Money Back Guarantee if our pump kit doesn't meet your water pumping needs! PLEASE READ prior to purchasing: This...
- 【 Multi-application 】 - This solar powered pond pump is for outdoor landscape, powered by solar energy, free maintenance, no wire, no electrical shock....
- 【 Easy to Use 】 - out of the box. plug and play in the sun. Choose your like fountain heads.
Great for Garden Birdbaths
For those who need a solar fountain pump instead, we highly recommend the Solatec birdbath and fountain pump. Despite being well designed, this unit is surprisingly inexpensive.
All you need to do is let it float on the water where there is ample sunlight exposure. It requires no connection cords, allowing for fast installation. You will also love its interchangeable nozzle heads that vary the pattern of water jets for a more dramatic fountain display.
- Eco Friendly: It is an extremely competent solar panel. It is controlled with solar power completely. It does not need battery or electricity. It is an Eco...
- Sprayer for Different Water Style: There are 4 different types of nozzle heads attached with the pump itself. It helps to change the height of water in...
- Multiple Applications: This eco friendly solar pump is perfect for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, pool, garden, water circulation for oxygen. Your garden...
- Floating Fountain Pump: It is very easy to use. You just have to do is, make the pump float on the water. Once the solar panel gain sunlight, it will run...
- Suggestion: Make sure you have put enough water in the fountain so that the pump can stay entirely under the water. You should clean the pump on regular basis...
Top 10 Best Solar Water Pumps
If you are looking for a solar power water pump, you’ll want to choose a high quality, outdoor rated product. To help you meet this goal, we have selected five top-rated models from reputable brands that have earned great reviews, and based on our research are durable and reliable. While the prices vary from one solar pump to the next, so do the features.
Therefore, take your time to find out what functions each solar pumping system offers in order to select one that is suited for your particular application. With the five suggestions reviewed below, you should be able to find a quality solar-powered pump to use on small to medium-sized ponds and water features.
Flow Rate: 412 GPH
Features: Polycrystalline Solar Panel, Brushless Magnetic Motor, Removable Filter, 10.5ft Maximum Head Height
Capable of supplying more than 400 GPH at maximum voltage, the Solariver fountain pump is one of the more powerful solar pumps we have seen. This submersible pump operates at 12-24V and uses a 10W or 20W solar panel.
Depending on the voltage, it can project jets of water up to 3.25, 6.9, or 10.5 feet high. It is possible to create different spray patterns thanks to the three removable head caps that come with this pump. Besides being a good fit for hydroponic farms, garden fountains, and aquariums, this pump can circulate and aerate water on a 1000 gal pond.
Related: Keep your pond clean and clear with Summit 130 Clear-water Barley Straw Bales.
The Solariver 20W solar water pump is also well constructed. Its generously sized 14″x 20.5″ solar panel features a sturdy aluminum frame and the magnetic pump has an impressive service life of up to 20,000 hours or more. Besides having a longer life than brushed pumps, the brush-less motor on this unit offers plenty of advantages.
These include reduced noise, zero ionizing sparks, more torque per watt, lower electromagnetic interference, and overall increased reliability. Assembling the entire unit is quite easy since a 16ft cable and plastic stake are included in the package. As for maintenance, all you have to do is wipe off the dust from the solar panel and check the removable filter routinely to remove any debris that may block it.
• Powerful motor produces more than 400GPH flow rate
• Works on both salty and freshwater
• Non-toxic to aquatic creatures
• Easy to assemble and maintain
• Filter box not included in the package
• Does not come with a battery
Flow Rate: 160 GPH
Watts: 12 W
Features: Submersible Solar Pump, Brushless Motor, Polycrystalline Panels
If you have a small to medium-sized pond and want a solar water pump for either circulation or aesthetic purposes, this model from Eco-Worthy would make a fantastic choice. It is a submersible pump featuring a 10V/12W solar panel, capable of achieving a strong flow rate of 160GPH.
As such, this pump can create a flow that is strong enough to oxygenate a small to medium-sized fish tank or pond. If you prefer to use this pump for a garden fountain or birdbath instead, it can project water up to 5.6 ft high. There are up to 2 nozzles provided with this pump. With the included spare, you can replace a malfunctioned nozzle head without having to buy a new one.
Related: Get a bottle of EasyCare FounTec Algaecide and Clarifier to keep your pond mosquito-free.
Designed with durability in mind, this solar water pumping system comes within an advertised 20,000+ lifespan. The designers at Eco-Worthy also use a sturdy aluminum case on the solar panel as a protective cover.
However, if there is one thing that we love most about the Eco-Worthy Solar Powered Water Pond Pump Kit, it has to be its jack of all trades nature. It has a strong water flow, good water height, reliability, and sturdy design. However, it does not have any particular feature that truly sticks out.
• Starts up fast by automatically detecting sunlight in seconds
• Sturdy and reliable design
• Strong features on every front
• Easy to clean
• No feature is top of the line
• Battery backup requires additional purchase from the manufacturer (if available)
Flow Rate: 100 GPH
Features: Submersible Solar Pump, Multiple Fountain Nozzles, Polycrystalline Solar Panel with ABS Frame
The LEDGLE solar fountain pump is another fantastic choice for small ponds that are far away from a wall socket or any source of electricity. Its 5W, the 6-12V solar panel will keep water circulating in your pond as long as the sun is shining. You just have to choose the perfect spot where the solar panel can receive maximum sunlight.
A 3m long cable provides added flexibility for you to find the ideal angle and adjust the solar panel throughout the day. Once it is all set up, the pump starts automatically. Lift height varies depending on the sunlight intensity, but you can expect the spray nozzle to shoot water up to 3.9ft high at maximum flow.
Related: Complements any solar bird bath for as stunning patio and garden water feature.
This LEDGLE solar fountain pump kit goes a step further and provides seven spray nozzles. Multiple spray heads are important because you can create different fountain visual effects. For this unit, the size, number, and arrangement of water holes on each nozzle vary.
Therefore, the water fountain may be set up to spray streams of water to different heights and in varying patterns. Cleaning the pump is easy since the unit can quickly be taken apart. Some users also recommend placing a meshed, nylon laundry bag or stocking over the pump before placing it in the water to block any leaves, twigs, and other debris from clogging the pump.
• Easy to install and move solar panel for maximum sun exposure
• Comes with more than half a dozen fountain nozzles
• Pump disassembles for easy cleaning
• The solar panel built with sturdy ABS plastic frame is designed for outdoor use
• a rather sharp edge on solar panel
• Regular cleaning is needed for the LEDGLE solar fountain pump to work as intended
Flow Rate: 58 GPH
Features: Dual Mode Operation, Tempered Glass Monocrystalline Solar Panel, Detachable Filter
The OUSI Solar Fountain is one of the few green pumps we have seen featuring a monocrystalline solar panel. The photovoltaic cells on such panels are made from the highest-grade silicon, so they tend to last longer and have better efficiency compared to their polycrystalline counterparts.
In fact, the panel on this solar unit gets the pump running in as little as 3-seconds when exposed to a good amount of sunlight. As with most solar water pumps, the panel is separate from the pump, so you can place it strategically in a spot that gets direct sunlight. The 16ft cable is also pretty long, providing plenty of leeway on where to place the solar panel.
Related: Placing an Outdoor Daybed near your fountain pump provides a great place to kick back and relax.
The most appealing feature of the 2W, 5-12V OUSI solar fountain pump is its two-mode operation. You can swap between using direct current from a solar panel and plugging the pump into a wall socket via a USB electric connector that comes with the kit.
This comes in handy for users who want to keep a small Koi pond or fish tank oxygenated even at night. Since the pump only uses 2Watts, its power usage is relatively low when compared to other electrical appliances found in your home.
If you choose to use this pump for visual displays instead, it comes with four fountainheads, each with its own unique spraying design. On a good sunny day, the pump can project fountain streams up to a height of 2 feet.
• Plugs into wall socket to keep fishponds aerated even after sunset
• Detailed user manual with diagrams and clear directions for easy set-up and usage
• Long lasting pump design with 10,000 hours of service life
• Detachable filter allows for easy cleaning and replacement
• There is no battery to store energy so the pump only works when there is sunlight
• The DC adapter for wall socket is sold separately
Flow Rate: 42 GPH
Features: Wireless Solar Fountain Pump, Lightweight Compact Design, Matte Finished Solar Panel
With a 1.4W solar panel to soak up rays from the sun, the Supmovo fountain pump would make a wonderful addition to any patio or front porch that has a birdbath. This solar fountain pump brings any tranquil pond to life with the soothing sound of trickling water.
It shoots water up in the air to slightly over 1.5 of a foot using one of four different spray caps that alter the fountain’s sprout pattern. The Supmovo solar fountain needs to be in full direct sunlight to work. As soon as direct sunlight hits the panel, the pump whirls to life and starts spraying.
While this may not be the most powerful solar pond pump on the list, it is still a well-built product and a top contender in its own right. Unlike the other solar power pumps we have reviewed, the solar panel and spray funnel on the Supmovo are integrated.
In fact, there are no wires or buttons to fiddle with when assembling the unit. Once put together, all you have to do is float the solar fountain pump on a birdbath basin or pond. Although this fountain pump works well in pools, birdbath bowls, ponds, and even fish tanks, it needs at least 1.75-inches of water depth.
Coupled with around solar panel design and scratch-resistant matte finish that reduces adhesion to fingerprints, Supmovo solar fountain pump is pleasing to the eye as well.
• Operates wirelessly for fast and easy setup
• Small and lightweight design makes the birdbath easy to move around when looking for the perfect spot with direct sunlight
• Equipped with a durable brushless motor that is designed to serve for more than 10,000 hours
• Aesthetically pleasing design
• Package does not include birdbath stand
• With a flow rate of only 42GPH, the Supmovo does not generate quite as high pressure as some of the more powerful solar fountains pumps on our list.
Maximum spray height: 50cm
Features: Polycrystalline Solar Panel, Multiple Spray Heads, Circular Panel Design
This solar-powered birdbath from Solatec is our top recommended budget option, but don’t let its low price tag put you off. Not only does it look the part, but it also works extremely well.
Simply assemble the solar panel with the connecting base attachments and spray head then place it in a birdbath stand, pool, pond, or other water feature.
The fountain starts to spray jets of water into the air in a matter of seconds. All it needs to fire up is proper placement in direct sunlight. The fact that it works so well surprised us considering that this is a budget model.
Related: Add some glow stones around your water feature to really bring it to life.
As long as the sun is shining, this Solatec birdbath fountain pump can spray water up to 1.64ft high at peak pressure. A fishing line provided with the pump can be used to tie a heavy object to the bottom if you want to keep the solar panel from moving about too much.
With four nozzle heads included, it is easy to refine the spray pattern to get the visual display you want for your birdbath or solar water fountain. Overall, this affordable solar pump for birdbaths and fountains offers good value for the price.
Maintenance is very straightforward and all you have to do is wipe the solar panel with a damp cloth or sponge as well as check the pump occasionally to rid it of dirt. Regular cleaning is necessary as dirt can diminish the panel’s ability to harness solar energy or clog the pump’s water inlet.
• Inexpensive solar birdbath fountain pump with a 1-year warranty
• Lightweight and portable design
• Little assembly required
• Easy to clean
• As with most solar powered fountain pumps, this unit won’t work if it does not get enough sunlight
• Also, it does not store power in a battery
Maximum Spray Height: 45cm
Features: Plastic Solar Fountain Pump, 6 Nozzle Attachments, Cordless Setup
The Rophie solar fountain pump has a very similar design to our top pick from Solatec. It features a circular design, 1.4W solar panel, and wireless build. However, there are a few subtle differences, not the least of which is the fact that this unit offers half a dozen spray nozzles.
The range of attachments provided not only lets you choose the desired type of spray display but also how high the water will shoot upward. The maximum spray height can reach just under 1.5ft if the pump reaches its maximum pressure of 150L/H. However, this depends also on your chosen spray nozzle and the sun’s intensity.
One other aspect that makes this Rophie solar fountain pump different from the Solatec unit is, of course, the price. This model costs a bit more given the added spray nozzles included in the package, but it is not massively expensive.
We should also note that the simple operation of this solar pump is very convenient. There is no complex assembly involved other than choosing the right combination of attachments to screw at the center of the solar panel.
The user manual even offers a sketch map with labeled attachments and a list of different combinations for fast and easy assembly. What’s more, a fishing line included in the package allows you to hook the solar fountain pump and retrieve it with ease from a pond.
• Starts pumping automatically when placed in ample sunlight
• Easy to move around for good sun exposure
• Simple cordless assembly
• Purchase backed by 18-month warranty and lifetime technical support
• There is no battery backup to keep the pump going when the weather suddenly gets cloudy
• Operating the pump without water can shorten its service life
Maximum Spray Height: 69.3cm
Features: Steel Construction, High Powered Solar Birdbath Fountain Pump, New & Improved Brushless Motor
Like other solar water fountains covered here, this KeHOME unit features the standard circular design we have come to expect from solar-powered birdbath fountain pumps.
But, a key distinguishing feature about it is that the manufacturer chose steel instead of plastic for the housing. A durable brushless pump complements the pump’s sturdy construction, giving you a tough solar-fountain pumping appliance that is built to last.
It also has the most powerful flow rate of any solar powered fountain pumps on our list. Thanks to its 200L/H (or 52.83GPH) flow rate, the pump is capable of spraying water to heights of 2.27feet when the conditions are right.
Related: Add a decorative lantern in a visible area to create a beautiful contrast of elements.
If you have a garden pond, this solar fountain pump would add some charm to your nature-inspired outdoor area. You can mix and match four spray caps with various attachments and the water fountain will squirt water in different styles.
This unit sprays water higher than many of the other items on our list. Therefore, you might want a wide bowl to keep water from spilling over if you prefer to setup up a birdbath on the patio, backyard, or garden. Alternatively, remove the nozzles to reduce output pressure and prevent water from splashing out of the birdbath.
To get the most service life from this birdbath fountain, avoid running it without water as this can damage the pump. Overall, the KeHOME Solar Powered Bird Bath Pump is an excellent choice and would make a wonderful addition to any backyard.
• Fast and easy to assemble
• Simple to operate
• Sturdy construction
• You may have to refill the birdbath constantly given the solar fountain’s high spray height, which increases the chances of water spillage.
Maximum Spray Height: 45.72cm
Features: Brushless Submersible Pump, Cable-Free Assembly, Multiple Spray Nozzle Attachments, Base with Suction Cups
With a maximum quantity flow of 151.42L/H (or 40gallons/hour), the Ankway Solar Birdbath Fountain Pump can project jets of water to about one foot and a half into the air. You also get the same number of attachment nozzles that come with the KeHOME upgraded bird bath solar fountain pump.
But, one extra addition that the Ankway fountain pump offers is the ability to secure it on a shallow birdbath. It has suction cups underneath it for this purpose. Keep in mind though that you need to fill your birdbath basin with water to a minimum depth of 1.75-inches. The suction cups keep your solar fountain centered in the birdbath bowl and prevent water from spraying onto the ground.
Related: Nothing beat relaxing next to a fire pit while listening to the sound of trickling water.
Putting the Ankway solar pump together is fast and easy, as with the majority of units on our list. After connecting the attachments with a desired nozzle spray head, place the solar pump in your birdbath bowl or pond and watch. The pump attached to the bottom starts to spray water almost immediately once strong enough rays from the sun hit its round solar panel.
Beware that overcast conditions tend to bring this solar fountain pump to a halt. Peeling off the clear protective film from the panel can help it to better harness solar energy. Just be sure to clean the solar panel regularly and check for any debris that may clog the water inlet in order to keep your Ankway solar fountain pump functioning at its best.
• Durable brushless motor can deliver more than 10,000 hours of service life
• Suction cups on the base help to minimize fountain movement
• Easy to clean plastic construction
• Like most other solar fountain pumps on the list, the Ankway unit may stop as soon as the shade rolls in.
• No battery system to power the fountain when sunlight diminishes
Maximum Spray Height: 70cm
Features: Polycrystalline Silicon Solar Panel, Square Design, Long-Lasting Brushless Pump
It’s hard not to like the no-nonsense shape that makes the Sunletic solar fountain pump. Prominent stripes on the solar panel also add a nice finishing touch to the overall design.
For all intents and purposes, this solar fountain pump makes a great decorative piece for a backyard pond, birdbath, fish tank, or swimming pool. Other than its no-nonsense shape, we were very impressed with the 27.6-inch lift height of this solar fountain pump given its flow rate. Buyers also get the standard 4-piece interchangeable nozzle head combo to vary the height and type of water spray.
Related: Recommended to use with the ZENY Birdbath 28″ Height Pedestal Bird Bath.
Some of the solar-powered bird bath fountains pumps on our list provide means of minimizing movement so that the solar panels don’t float away to shadow spots.
However, this lightweight unit from Sunletic has no suction cups or a fishing line to keep it from moving too much on a large or medium pond. However, you can mitigate this problem by placing a few rocks around the solar fountain pump. On windy days, it might be a good idea not to attach any spray nozzles since water usually blows around too much in such conditions and often does not land back in the birdbath bowl.
• No-nonsense design
• Fast and convenient 3 second start time in good sunny conditions
• Designed to provide over 20,000 hours of service life
• All-around performance
• Lacks features or accessories to keep the solar fountain pump motionless
• Some people report an inconsistent stream and malfunctioning units. Though Sunletic does provide customer support.
Solar Water Pump Buyers Guide
While many people consider solar water pumps as a complex and costly investment, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Solar water pumps actually use a simple method of operation.
When photons from sunlight hit photovoltaic (PV) solar panels, silicon cells convert the sun’s rays into electricity, which then powers a pump that circulates water.
And, when it comes to cost, solar water pumps do not incur hefty electricity bills since they rely on the sun’s free rays. Therefore, whether you live in a remote area, own a farm, or simply want access to a reliable fountain of water, a solar water pump is worth looking into.
This guide gives you a detailed look at solar water pumps and offers a few pointers to help you.
Benefits of Solar Water Pumps:
A solar water pump offers plenty of benefits, which make it a desirable alternative to conventional electrical pumps. These include advantages such as:
- Easy Installation: Comprising of solar panels, a pump, electric motor, a connector, and cables, a solar water pump system offers a quick and easy installation. In fact, space is the only needed requirement.
- Uninterrupted Supply of Water: As long as the sun is shining, you will have a steady supply of water when using a solar water pump.
- Greater Reach: The fact that solar pumps do not use man-made energy gives them greater reach than other pump types. They can be installed anywhere ranging from urban areas to remote regions where grid power is irregular or even unavailable.
- Cost-Effective: The initial cost of buying a solar water pump can be higher compared to an AC/electrical system. However, since a solar-powered water pump uses no electricity and has very low maintenance costs, it pays for itself over time. Simply put, the savings you get back in the long haul far outweigh the high set-up costs that these systems fetch.
- Long Lifespan: The life of a solar pump can be up to 5 to 10 years. That said, it is important that you invest in a quality product and practice proper maintenance for your pump to last as long as it is supposed to.
- Eco-Friendly: Solar pumps rely solely on the sun’s rays. Since these systems have zero carbon emissions, they are good for the environment.
How to Choose the Right Solar Water Pump:
The first step to choosing the right solar water pump begins with establishing exactly what look you’re after. Once this is determined, it becomes easier to choose between the 2 types of solar pumps that exist.
1 – Fountain Pumps
Fountain pumps are designed to spray water into the air and recirculate it throughout a pond or pool. They are best suited for small to medium-sized bodies of water but can be used in larger volumes as well.
2 – Pond Pumps
Pond pumps have greater suction power, which makes these units suitable for areas where water is at a greater depth. They can quickly and easily aerate vast amounts of water and if equipped with a spray nozzle, typically spray much higher.
Besides pump type, its application also matters when trying to decide which one you should buy. If you are looking for a solar water pump for your fishpond, it is important to invest in a system that runs even at night.
Uses for Water Pumps:
The pump will be responsible for aerating, filtering, and circulating the water, three critical requirements for supporting life in an artificial fishpond.
To keep such a pump running when the sun is not shining at night, it would need to have a battery backup system. Alternatively, consider having an electric pump that kicks in at night so that your fish can have enough oxygen supply in the water 24 hours a day.
Batteries are not a necessity if there is no need to have your solar pump running at night. Solar-powered water pumps that run for just a few hours per day would be best if used for applications like:
- Aquatic gardening
- Landscaping element
- Maintaining water flow to a fountain, birdbath, or other decorative water feature
- Ambient Noize
Solar Water Pump Features:
Lift height is a key feature to note when looking to buy a solar fountain pump. This specification indicates how far the fountainhead will throw jets of water into the air. Water spray height and a pump’s flow rate (measured in gallons per hour) go hand in hand when deciding the effect you desire from a water fountain.
A fountain pump with a short lift height and low flow rate will suffice to create a simple birdbath. For an impressive garden fountain, a unit with a taller lift height and higher GPH rating would be ideal.
The flow rate for solar pumps is usually stated in gallons per minute or hour. A water pump that uses solar energy can operate 4-6 hours at peak performance when the sun is shining bright.
Using this information, you can determine the amount of water your pump is capable of supplying and whether the pump size is suitable for your needs.
Corrosion resistance is another feature to consider before buying any type of water pump, including one powered by solar energy. Some manufacturers keep rusting at bay by using galvanized metal components. Other brands may saturate the entire pump with a minor electrical charge to minimize corrosion.
Finally, consider where a water pump will be set up. Some kits come with stakes or small mounts to make installation easier while other solar pump brands do not provide these accessories.
Solar Powered Pump Maintenance
Solar water pumps require very little maintenance. Regular cleaning of solar panels is the biggest part of keeping these units in good working condition. Basically, the cleaner your solar panels are, the more efficient they will be at absorbing the sun’s energy.
So, cleaning is required on a regular basis especially if you live in a dusty area. Talking to your manufacturer can help you identify the best method of cleaning or simply follow the maintenance guidelines that come with your product.
However, options usually come down to the use of a garden hose or soapy water and a sponge when dealing with stubborn dirt.
The other part of solar water pump maintenance involves regular inspection of the solar panels and pump. This helps to ensure everything is working fine by enabling you to catch and fix any problems early. Cleaning the water inlets and pump filter is also necessary every once in a while.
Some systems have a self-cleaning mechanism that automatically flushes out debris from the filter to ensure that water flows unabated.
Solar Pump Accessories
Most solar water pump manufacturers provide all the accessories that you need to start using their products right out of the box. This includes items like the solar panels, pump, connecting cables, spray heads, ground stakes, and mounting brackets. However, there are a few other items that may not come with your purchase.
You may choose to opt-out of getting optional add-ons for your solar water fountain, but some of the available accessories come in handy and may even be essential for your application.
You may find accessories designed to add more functionality while others help to prolong the longevity of your solar-powered pump. Here are our top 3 suggestions that you may want to consider adding to your shopping list.
Too much debris in a pond can impede proper circulation and keep a solar water fountain from working as expected. A pre-filter can clean water before it enters the pump to keep the water flowing and extend pump life.
That’s exactly what the TetraPond Submersible Flat Box Filter does. Since the filter captures contaminants, it may help to clean out your pond.
The vent plates on the top lift off easily when you release the snap latch, making it easy to clean the pre-filter. The filter box comes with a 1” tube that connects to your pump.
Included in the package are three hose fittings that fit into various pump inlets with flow rates ranging from 200 to 2,000 GPH. The TetraPond box filter works well on a 500-Gallon pond and it also comes in a pack of two.
Algae blooms that grow out of control can create many problems, including blocking pumps and impeding flow in drainage systems. However, the Clear Summit 130-water Barley Straw Bales help to keep ponds clear and free of blanket weed.
Scientists suggest that chemicals released from decaying straw stunt the growth of algae. Although this may arouse concern for Koi pond owners since algae provide fish with food and oxygen, barley straw can be safe to use on a fishpond if you have adequate aeration and filtration in place.
The Clear Summit 130 Water Barley comes with two bales, each one being able to treat up to 1,000 gallons. This is a great natural filter for keeping ponds devoid of algae and providing the perfect conditions for solar fountain pumps to operate optimally. Best of all, the barley straw causes no harm to fish and results can last up to 6 months.
For pond and fish tank owners who prefer natural ways of keeping algae at bay, this Floating Live Pond Plant gets the job done easily. It not only absorbs algae but also starves these microorganisms by using up nutrients in the water.
Once planted, these plants act as a natural bio-filter that keeps algae from clogging your pump inlets, filter, and fountain heads. Since they reproduce and spread, you don’t even have to buy a large bunch.
The Floating Live Pond plants won’t thrive in winter and may die if not properly cared for, but their low cost is a small price to pay for some added beauty and a healthy pond. In summer, these vibrantly green plants even bloom into small clusters of purple/lilac flowers that add some color to your pond or aquarium.
We hope you have gathered some insights on solar water pumps and fountains to help make the buying process easier. All of the models in our list are very similar in function or design, so really any of them will serve your needs well as long as you make the right pick.
As a general rule of thumb, do not just focus on price, as this can be misleading. Having the right knowledge of a solar water pump will help you to buy the right one. So, make sure to compare the features and functionality alongside price in order to select one that is suitable for your particular situation.